Lions, donkeys and angels

Agreed. I was quite busy with my job as well many other interesting things in life that I found it difficult to maintain my average monthly post rate; But the poor Internet connectivity in our country is the real culprit. Even right now I am not typing this live on pilanipix. I will have to take this in a pen drive and locate a good Internet centre to make this available to you.

Well, my mind is having a words-jam. Words-jam is not like the ones that come in those transparent glass bottles with tight lids and bright labels; it is like the traffic jam. There are thousands of words struggling hard to come out my head at the same time, mainly due to the congestion caused by this delay in my post. The past six weeks have been quite exciting. Before I forget, let me tell you about a sarcastic yet heavy statement I came across today -"Bureaucracy is a donkey manufacturing factory". Well, I could not get any meaning out of it until that gentleman gave the addendum, "It catches lions and creates donkeys out of them". It is in reference to the tough civil service exams that tries to get the best talent available to the manage our country's administration. And how over a period of time we fail to make the best use of this talented human resources, and end up turning these smart fellows into mediocre officials who close their eyes before opening their pens.

I too was supposed to be a lion when I was caught by the civil services exam two years back. It is a different matter that I am not sure whether they caught what they wanted. But, I am sure I have not yet been turned into a donkey!

I am happy to have come across a few who still remain fearless lions even after dozens of years of service. I interacted with some of them today; I felt proud to have been caught. This moment I feel like retyping my earlier post; exactly the same way I typed it a year back. There are a few good civil servants scattered here and there; And these are the ones who keep the system in tact without any implosion or explosion. As one of my bosses said, these are like the angels sent by God in very small numbers - but to the right places, at the right time. I shudder to think of a situation where such self-driven and self-motivated people are absent from the system. With such people around there is enough inspiration!

(October 14th, 2009)

10 comments:

Mayur Bhuva said...

you rock mr. director...i am sure my money is backing the right talent..i will not have to organise any reality show now...

Anonymous said...

this country of 100 crores is running because we still have some good people (though very few) in this system...otherwise this country would have busted a long ago.

Muthuvel said...

Donkey Manufacture?? This is quite surprising and can i call it contradictory to some of the facts published? Today, India is a growing economy with trillions of dollars output; 65% odd literates and is expected to be a developed nation in 2020 by Greats like Kalam. We could find a Mahatma when India had just about 10% literates and few millions of dollars outputs as GDP. Given these statistics, why would the beuracracy manufacture donkeys? My first thought would be that India should be able to produce more educated, smart and civilised officers!!

Pilani Pictures said...

:) danks.....

Pilani Pictures said...

@Anonymous:
Very true...

@Muthuvel:
What you are saying is the goal/ideal.. but what is happening is written in the post!

Cosmic Voices said...

Donkey? Lion?

So basically it is a jungle raj. :-P

Pilani Pictures said...

Man is a social animal.

Muthuvel said...

Hmm.. probably public sector service industry is on the decline while the business in the organised sector is on the rise... Government schools and hospitals are another sad story...Today majority of the people are least bothered about the service industry and the accountability of the government! I can see this only as a dipping point for now but with the business and literacy on the rise and as the number of tax payers increase, the government will be more accountable and we should be able to see the system manufacture more lions out of donkeys! It all requires a good legal system and compliant citizens...May take a decade to realise the curve go up! When you retire from the service, you can expect a good system in place and the decline of bureaucracy in a major way!

Smarak said...

lion or donkey, or for tht matter angel... bureaucracy makes a man wht he becomes -better dont worry abt wht bureaucracy will do to u; best to live the present.

Pilani Pictures said...

@Muthuvel:
I hope that day comes when lions are made out of donkeys! Quite an interesting statement!

@Smarak:
From a zen perspective you are quite true.. we should only live the present...!

The Queen’s Gambit (Review)

(Glad that my review got published in Readers Write  - Thank you so much Baradwaj Rangan! ) Streaming on Netflix and consisting of seven epi...