No blogging


Blogging is like smoking. It is a good time pass essentially, and this made me pick the habit about a year ago. It is not that I have never written anything in my life before that. I have always been associated with some magazine/newsletter or the other, willingly or without choice, knowingly or innocently, throughout my school-college-b-school-work-GoI life. But this new phase of writing started as a time-pass tool, like smoking. For more on this you go to my first post, please.
Smokers, left to them, would not generally care whether the people around like the exhaust that comes of their mouths. I too, generally do not care whether the person sitting at the other end of the comp likes to read what I have typed. Of course there is a concern somewhere in the mind for the poor readers. But the concern is not big enough to make me more considerate with the keyboard.
Smoking adds to one’s style or the cool factor, and this is one of the main reasons why many teenagers light their first cigarette. Though long past the school days, this blogger also believes that blogging makes him cool! Not everyone is as stylish as Rajni when it comes to smoking; I have come across some really pathetic posts, even in this blog. However one always tries to kind of flip the cigarette or rub the matchstick on neighbour's arm hoping to light the stick. The same strive is there among many writers, including this one.
A smoker without a cigarette, standing next to a smoking smoker actually gets to smoke for free. And that is what many bloggers do - just lazily browse other blog sites. For that matter that is one thing I do when having lots of time, pretty decent net facility and neither any new mail or scrap nor the mood to write something.
I have seen many smokers put off or throw their cigarettes midway, abusing some distant relative or a neighbour who passes by. The power cuts and the network problems one faces in the numerous net cafes around remind this. I do not trust Autosave anymore, after having retyped two or three posts till now. Things beyond one's control, things that irritate the most.
Of course, the "kicks" given by smoking and writing can not be compared.(By the way, as late as my Tenth Class I used to write writing as "Writting". Looks like since school days, I was so interested in writttting!) But writers also get a kick after completing a work, regardless of the quality of the work. The only thing is that for bad posts the kick is from outside.
Some smokers feel that they are rebels; they do not want to be contained by the myopic definition given to "good habits", they believe that nobody can chain them or none can snatch away their freedom.Read my dear friend Muthuvel's blog and you will agree to what I say.
Smoking is a costly affiar. Who says blogging is for free?

9 comments:

Muthuvel said...

Dei, You've chosen two activities that don't seem fit to compare and I don't see any logic anyway. But still the comparison work has been quite wonderful. Two unrelated processes when compared and the outcome is sweet, speaks your talent of comprehending the processes in a relational way. Good work, I expect more of such posts in the coming days :-)

dhanger said...

what an analogy mate. but how can u write so confidently being a non-smoker(though alibi is u were just expressing someone else's notions abt smoking). let me not doubt ur smoking status. see blogging comes with a price

Pilani Pictures said...

@Muthuvel:
Thanks da mama....actually had planned to post something else..but got this idea while on the way to the netcafe.
:)

@Dhanger:
... you see, all the product managers of Huggies are adults - one need not be a child to desgin a Huggy pad well! Got it?!
:)thanks mister Zid!

Shwetank said...

Hello!! I got interested in your blog for 2 reasons. First the blog address itself. Are u a BITS alumnus(I am a BITSian)?? And the other reason is that your also an IAS officer( so is my dad). Do reply.

Cosmic Voices said...

Enna solla varra?

"Blogging is like smoking."

That you have said in the very first line. After that you seemed to derive inspiration from the Cow poem. I am happy that your creative skills are rising in a different direction.

By the way, please don't use blogs for practicing your essay paper.

Pilani Pictures said...

@Cosmic:
dei Cosmic! Acco to your logic there can be no Indian films..as we all know all the films have a happy ending where the villian is killed and the hero settles with his girl. Then why are films made? Why are you seeing them? Btw...its a good practice for the essay - agreed!
;)

Pilani Pictures said...

..btw what is the cow poem?

Cosmic Voices said...

Ayyo Ayyo...... oru kadi logic aa kolradhukku innoru kadi logic aa.... post la kadi, comment la kadi.... mudiyalla...... saari about my comment. I take vaapas

Cosmic Voices said...

cow poem...... that one which one of your brother's batchmate wrote for the academy journal

The Queen’s Gambit (Review)

(Glad that my review got published in Readers Write  - Thank you so much Baradwaj Rangan! ) Streaming on Netflix and consisting of seven epi...